Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Cultural Shock!

Being here for 2 and a half months I have noticed some things that are different and that I would call cultural shock. Coming from Serbia I thought this country is not that different then mine. They are both in Europe, not that far a way and I have traveled little around Europe so I know how the Westerners (that is how Serbs call people from rich countries) think. But now, I have to say I was wrong!
Norway is very different! First cultural shock was going on a beach in HALD. On the way there (20 min walk) I could count on fingers of one hand how much paper garbage I saw on street. In Serbia I would have to use paper,pan and calculator to count all of them! :) My friend Bojan has told me a fanny story of what happened to him while he was in Norway. He was in front of House of Parliament in Oslo along with some Norwegians and he saw a empty cigarette box thrown on the ground. He reached to picked it up, thinking in his head: "Oh these Norwegians think that there country is so clean, but look at this! Garbage in center of Oslo!". And when he picked it up he saw a stamp on it  (every pack of cigarettes has an stamp signing in what county they are sold) written is Serbian Cyrillic alphabet: Republic of Serbia! :)  It was clear that some Serb, living in Oslo and buying cheap cigarettes in Serbia has thrown it on the ground!!!
Second thing what I have noticed was when we arrived on beach. 2 beach volleyball sets a long with nets, lines, net holders completely left there for people ti use! I assume that one set like that cost around 500€. And that is not only think that Norwegians "leave behind"! You can also find unlocked bicycles in dissent condition on almost every corner, balls on football fields, metal BBQ fryers on every beach,... If you would leave something like that in Serbia it will disappear in one minute!  
Third one was just last week. Ivan and I were looking for a store to buy a stamp for a mail to send a card to our friend. We went in this random store that sells newspapers, magazines, candy's, drinks, and etc. While we were coming inside I saw a blond girl, wearing lots of makeup who was working in the store. We approached and I asked her if they sell stamps. When she opened her month the sound coming from her mouth was a man voice! Very deep, ruff and very manly! I couldn't believe with my ears and eyes! It was a transvestite! We went outside and ask one another:"Did you see same think that I saw?". You would NEVER see something like that in Serbia. I mean, I assume that there are transvestites in my country but they are not in public. It was my first "dude in skirt" that I saw in my life!

Forth thing is how Norwegians are closed people but that is a blog for itself! :) Long topic!!! :D


I hope you enjoyed mu list! I will keep updating it! And I know, still no pictures! That is terrible,right?! :)




2 comments:

  1. Funny reading about your stay in Norway, and both Maria and me are looking forward to your next post ;) Funny that you say norwegian people are closed, because we find people here pretty closed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha if I had more posts and comments maybe I would continue to write :P

    ReplyDelete